Cooking seafoods is always a task of challenge to anyone, even to people who are very good at cooking. There are many reasons behind this: lack of knowledge about the types of seafoods and how to choose them, don’t know how to get rid of the bad smell of fishes or don’t know how to control the heat when cooking the shrimps… Of course you are not born to be good at anything, so we have to try again and again to know which is the best way for these things.
Nowadays, with the development of technology, seafood cooking become easier, so much than before, but cook a delicious dish for your family still requires so much experience. In this post, I will show you some of them. You might have known some of these tips and tricks before, but to people who are cooking seafood for the first, second or third time, this would become very helpful. Let’s enter the world of seafoods right away!
Handling with The Fresh Ingredients Before Cooking
- Don’t break the hard shell: With hard shell type seafoods such as oysters or snails, you should keep the shell not to be physically damaged or else the meat inside can’t be kept delicious and fresh. Theses animals live in wet environments for quite a long time, so you just need to keep them inside a fabric bag and keep it wet by adding water. You can keep them with that condition for about 1 or 2 days without having to put them into the fridge.
- Prepare other types of seafoods: With the squids and ocean fishes, you should remove the skin and wash carefully to get rid of some kinds of bacteria and dirt stay outside, then use the plastic bag to cover them. To prepare the shrimps, you should remove the head and then wash carefully and store them with ground ice so as to keep the perfect temperature for storage.
- Remember to use the seafoods right after the preparation so as to keep them fresh until you cook. Depending on the cooking method, you have to control the water amount inside the seafoods to keep the nutritions inside.
Using Stored Seafoods
- With this type of ingredient, you should put it in the cooling part of the fridge overnight to defrost. If you want to use it right away, put it under the shower or use the microwave. However, be careful with the microwave because it can ruin the structure of the meat and result in the loss of seafood nutrition. Another thing you have to concern about is the warm water. Never use warm water to defrost the seafood because it could become the ideal environment for the bacteria to wake up after being frozen and spoil the seafood quickly.
- If you want to steam the seafoods, remember to take a good care of the fire because the water could evaporate really quickly and make the meat so dry and quickly. The best way to prevent this is not to open the lid right after steaming. You should wait for 4 to 9 minutes for the meat to self – steaming and bring the best flavor out. In addition, you should add some herbs to remove the bad smell of seafoods.
- Grilling is easier in comparison with steaming or boiling, but you have to use the microwave correctly to achieve the best flavor. In addition, you should cover the seafood with the steaming layers to keep the flavor inside the meat. The temperature should be between 200 and 230 degrees. Make sure that you have added some oil before grilling them.
Something You Should Avoid When Using the Seafoods
Basically, seafoods contain high amount of calcium and minerals which are very good for your health, but if you don’t know how to eat seafood correctly, some of the chemicals inside seafoods could bring negative impacts to your mental and physical conditions.
In addition, there are some people who should not use large amounts of seafoods, including people who are allergic to the shells of seafood or people are suffering from Gout or bone diseases. Pregnant women should be very careful when eating seafoods such as lobsters or oysters because they could make some changes in the body and affect to the digestive system.
They are some basic knowledge about the preparation, cooking method and serving the seafoods that you should know so as to be a good seafood cook. However, practice makes perfect. If you know them, but you don’t practice regularly, the techniques can’t be mastered. Change the menu for your family with seafoods at least twice a week would be a good choice not only for the health but it also helps your cooking to be improved to a whole new level. Have fun cooking!